University Core Curriculum Requirements

General Education Distribution Area Cr. Hrs.
Fine Arts (FA)*
2 courses, from at least two of the following areas of study: Art, CMT (Mass Media or Theatre), Music (includes Dance).
Humanities (HU)*
3 courses, from at least two of the following areas of study: CMT (Communication), English, Linguistics. Philosophy, Women's and Gender Studies, World Languages and Cultures, (Note: No more than two foreign language courses may be used to fulfill this requirement.)

Behavioral/Social Sciences (SB)*

3 courses, from at least two of the following areas of study: African & African American Studies, Anthropology, Computer Science, Economics, Geography & Environmental Studies, History, Justice Studies, Latino & Latin American Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work


Natural Sciences (NS and NSL)**

3 courses, from at least two of the following areas of study; one course must have a laboratory component (NSL): Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Environmental Science, Physics (Note: If an FYE ANTH that counts as Natural Science is taken, only one Biology course may be used for Natural Science).


Engaged Learning Experiences  

Students must complete, at Northeastern, three courses designated as Engaged Learning Experiences courses. One of the Engaged Learning Experiences courses must be at the 300-level, and one Engaged Learning Experiences course must be designated as "Boundary Crossing".


Discipline Specific (ELE-DS)

These courses have pre-requisites that are specific courses within a program of study. Discipline Specific courses give students a deeper understanding of how knowledge is created and applied in their field.


Boundary Crossing (ELE-X)

These are courses that cross disciplinary boundaries and/or cross boundaries through engagements outside the classroom or University allowing students to see how knowledge gained in one field might inform other fields or other aspects of society.


Math/Quantitative Reasoning (MA)

1 Math course, that has intermediate Algebra as prerequisite OR is a course listed on the General Education Distributive Learning List of Approved Courses. Any 3 hour college level math course, beyond Intermediate Algebra, meets this requirement.


Majors in Fine Arts, Humanities or Social/Behavioral Sciences, may waive up to 6 credit hours of General Education requirements in the corresponding distribution area.


 Majors in Natural Sciences may waive up to 9 credit hours of General Education requirements in the Natural Sciences distribution area.

Students should also be aware of all other university requirements to obtain a degree - NEIU requirements

Minor in Gerontology (18 credit hours)

The minor in gerontology is designed to provide a broad, interdisciplinary introduction to various aspects of aging, and to prepare students to become professionals in aging-related fields. The minor consists of a core classroom component (12 credit hours), the field component (3 credit hours), and the interdisciplinary component (3 credit hours).

Required Courses
PSYC 301 Research Methods3
PSYC-325Psychosocial Development And Aging3
PSYC-328Seminar In Aging3
PSYC-391Field Experiences In Psychology I3
One interdisciplinary elective course from the department’s approved list3
Total Hours18

Note: Gerontology minors who are also Psychology Majors and therefore are taking PSYC-202 and PSYC-302 may substitute another gerontology or related course in place of the minor required Research Methods course, upon approval by the department chair.

Field Experience

Academic credit may be earned through relevant work at field sites such as human service agencies, community organizations, schools, and business. The experience may include direct work with clients, case management, observation, outreach, tutoring, program evaluation and development, or research. The Field Experience program serves to integrate theoretical concepts with practical experience. Training is jointly supervised by a field supervisor on site and a faculty member on campus. Information about undergraduate field experience may be obtained from the program advisor in the psychology department.