Major/Minor Declaration

Declaring a Major, Pre-major, Minor, or Concentration

Northeastern requires all undergraduate students to declare a major by the time they have earned a total of 45 credit hours.  

Students intending to major in business, education, or graphic design can declare a “pre-major” until the program admission requirements to the College of Business and Technology, the Daniel L. Goodwin College of Education, or the BFA in Graphic Design are met.

Declaring a Major, Pre-Major, Minor or Concentration
The Undergraduate Major/Minor Declaration form must be completed to declare a major or pre-major, to declare a minor, to declare a concentration, or to make any changes to previously declared majors or pre-majors, minors, or concentrations. The procedure is as follows.

1.Obtain the Undergraduate Major/Minor Declaration form online, from the Registrar's Office in Enrollment Services, or from your academic program.

2.Obtain the necessary signatures, and submit the form to the Registrar's Office in Enrollment Services.

In most cases, students may follow this procedure at any time throughout the school year.  Please check with the major or minor department for specific requirements and deadlines.

Students who double major in both the Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (BAIS) program and another major will have the BAIS program listed as their primary major, and this major will display on the student’s diploma.  Both majors will appear on the student’s transcript.

Area of Study in Addition to the Major

Undergraduate students are not required to have a minor, with the following exceptions:

  • A student in the College of Arts and Sciences who majors in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, or Physics must complete a required set of cognate courses in other sciences and mathematics.
  • A student in the College of Business and Technology must complete a required set of cognate courses in the Business and Management core in addition to courses for the major.
  • Some majors in the Goodwin College of Education require a minor.  Students should refer to the section of the Academic Catalog which details the requirements for each major to determine if a minor or a set of cognate courses is required.