Residency Status

Residency Status

For the purpose of this regulation an “adult” is considered to be a student 18 years of age or over; a “minor” student is a student under 18 years of age. The term “the State” means the State of Illinois. Except for those exceptions clearly indicated in this regulation, in all cases where records establish that the person does not meet the requirements for resident status as defined in this regulation, the nonresident status shall be assigned.

Residency Determination
Evidence for determination of residence status of each applicant for admission to the University shall be submitted to the Admissions Office at the time of application for admission. A student may submit additional or changed information to the University to request a reclassification of the student's residency status.  However, if the student's residency status is classified in error as a resident student, the change in tuition shall be applicable beginning with the semester following the reclassification; if the student is classified in error as a nonresident, the change in tuition shall be applicable to the semester in which the reclassification occurs, provided the student has filed a written request for a review in accordance with this regulation.

Adult Student
An adult, to be considered a resident, must have been a bona fide resident of the state for a period of at least 6 consecutive months immediately preceding the beginning of any term for which he/she registers at the university, and must continue to maintain a bona fide residency in the state, except that an adult student whose parents (or one of them if only one parent is living or the parents are separated or divorced) have established and are maintaining a bona fide residence in the state and who resides with them (or the one residing in the state) or elsewhere in the state will be regarded as a resident student.

Minor Student
The residence of a minor shall be considered to be, and to change with and follow:

  1. That of the person’s parents, if they are living together, or living parent, if one is dead; or

  2. if the parents are separated or divorced, that of the parent to whom the custody of the person has been awarded by court decree or order, or, in the absence of a court decree or order, that of the father unless the person has continuously resided with the mother for a period of at least six consecutive months immediately preceding his/her registration at the university, in which latter event the person’s residence shall be considered to be that of his/her mother; or

  3. that of the adoptive parents, if the person has been legally adopted and, in the event the adoptive parents become divorced or separated, that of the adoptive parent whose residence would govern under the foregoing rules if that parent had been a natural parent; or

  4. that of the legally appointed guardian of the person if the minor resides with such guardian; or

  5. that of a “natural” guardian, such as a grandparent, adult brother or adult sister, adult uncle or aunt, or other adult with whom the person has resided and has been supported by for a period of at least six consecutive months immediately preceding his/her registration at the university for any term if the person’s parents are dead or have abandoned him/her and if no legal guardian of the person has been appointed and qualified.

Parent or Guardian
Except as provided in paragraph 10 of this regulation, no parent or legal or natural guardian will be considered a resident of the state unless the parent or guardian (a) maintains a bona fide and permanent place of abode within the state, and (b) lives within the state, except when temporarily absent from the state, with no intention of changing his/her legal residence to some other state or country.

Emancipated Minor
If a minor has been emancipated, is completely self-supporting, and actually resides in the state, the minor shall be considered to be a resident even though his/her parent or guardian may reside outside the state. An emancipated minor who is completely self-supporting shall be considered to “actually reside in the state of Illinois” if he/she maintained a dwelling place within the state uninterruptedly for a period of at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the beginning of any term for which he/she registers at the university. Marriage or active military service shall be regarded as effecting the emancipation of minors, whether male or female, for the purposes of this regulation. An emancipated minor whose parents (or one of them if only one parent is living or the parents are separated or divorced) have established and are maintaining a bona fide residence in the state and who resides with them (or the one residing in the state) or elsewhere in the state will be regarded as a resident student.

In-State Tuition for Individuals from Bordering States
Beginning Fall 2015, incoming freshmen, transfer and graduate students from neighboring states will be assessed in-state tuition rates.  Students will qualify if they reside in Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Kentucky or Missouri.  

Armed Forces Personnel
Beginning Fall 2015, an incoming freshman, transfer, or graduate student who is an active member of the United States Armed Forces or who is an honorably discharged veteran, regardless of state residency, will qualify for in-state tuition. This policy also applies to the spouse and dependent children of active duty military and veterans.

Persons without United States Citizenship
A person who is not a citizen of the United States of America, to be considered a resident must have approved permanent resident status with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or a visa that allows the applicant to stay in the United States indefinitely. They must also meet and comply with all of the other applicable requirements to establish resident status.

Effective Fall 2003 and thereafter, in accordance with 110 ILCS 680/25-88 of the Illinois General Assembly, students with an undocumented status may be eligible for in-state tuition if all conditions of HB0060 are met. For more information, please contact the Admissions Office at (773) 442-4000.

Marriage of Students 

  1. If a resident student marries a nonresident, then the resident student shall continue to be classified as a resident unless the student requests reclassification to a nonresident status.
  2. If a nonresident student marries a resident, then the nonresident student shall continue to be classified as a nonresident unless the student executes a declaration of residency, in such form as may be prescribed by the Admissions Office and requests reclassification to resident status.

Minor Children of Parents Transferred Outside the United States
The minor children of persons who have resided in the state for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to a transfer by their employers to some location outside the United States shall be considered residents. However, this shall apply only when the minor children of such parents enroll in the University within five years from the time their parents are transferred by their employer to some location outside the United States.

Staff Members of the University, Allied Agencies, and Faculties of State-Supported Institutions in Illinois
Staff members of the University and of allied agencies, and faculties of state-supported institutions of higher education in Illinois, holding an appointment of at least one-quarter time, and their spouses and dependent children, shall be treated as residents.

Teachers in Public and Private Illinois Schools
Teachers in the private and public elementary and secondary schools in Illinois shall, if subject to the payment of tuition, be assessed at the resident rate during the term in which the staff member or teacher holds such an appointment at least one-quarter time. This privilege also extends to the summer session or off-term vacation immediately following the term for which such appointment was effective.

Definition of Terminology
To the extent that the terms “bona fide residence,” “independent,” “dependent,” and “emancipation,” are not defined in this regulation, definitions shall be determined by according due consideration to all of the facts pertinent and material to the question and to the applicable laws and court decisions of the state of Illinois.  

Voter registration, the filing of tax returns, proper license and registration for the driving or ownership of a vehicle, and other such transactions may verify intent of residence in a state. Neither length of university attendance nor continued presence in the university community during vacation period shall be constructed to be proof of Illinois residence.

The term “staff member” as used in this regulation shall mean a person appointed to an established position for a specific amount of time at a salary commensurate with the percentage of time required, under an appointment requiring service for not less than three-fourths of the term. The term “staff member” as defined herein shall not apply to persons employed on an hourly basis in either an academic or non-academic capacity, nor to persons on leave without pay. Persons appointed to established civil service positions, whose rate of pay is determined by negotiation or prevailing rates, shall not be considered as being paid on an hourly basis.

Procedure for Review of Residency Status
A student who takes exception to the residency status assigned and/or tuition assessed shall pay the tuition assessed but may file a written petition to the Residency Review Committee for a reconsideration of residency status and/or an adjustment of the tuition assessed. The written claim for reconsideration of residency status must include three documents which indicate the student’s address within Illinois and dated at least 6 months prior to the beginning of the term for which an adjustment is requested. Acceptable documents include voter registration card, tax return, state ID or driver’s license, bank statement, credit card bill, utility bill, lease/rental agreement, and insurance document. The written claim must be filed within 30 calendar days from the date of assessment of tuition or the date designated in the official University calendar as that upon which instruction begins for the academic period for which the tuition is payable, whichever is later, or the student loses all rights to a change of status and/or adjustment of the tuition assessed for the term in question. An official decision is typically communicated within 2 to 3 weeks, and the decision of the Residency Review Committee is final.
                Residency Review Committee
                c/o Enrollment Services (D-101)
                5500 N. St. Louis Ave
                Chicago, IL  60625